The year is in full swing already. I have moved from my house of 360m2 to a flat below the house of 62m2. As you can imagine it is a big squeezzzzze. Can’t invite friends, can hardly move around the place and of course can’t find a bloody thing. Boohooooooo:(:(:(
What I have been doing since the 1st of January is selling my not needed stuff on every online marketplace that I can find.
With this post I would like to share one of my revamps that I sold recently.
These two bed stands [is that the correct description?; they look more like small chest of drawers] were given to me by a lady who moved to an old age home. Though practical, they are NOT beautiful.
I am a strong believer when decorating ones house [or designing ones house] to aim for the best balance between practicality and aesthetics. Although old; these bed stands were sturdy and in a good condition.
They were made of melamine and horrific plastic beige handles.
I have lots of left-over paint. I mixed some left over paints to get a duck egg [with blue undertone] colour. I make my own chalk paint; this was ideal to cover the smooth melamine finish.
I did not take photo’s of my process of revamping the bed stands. To give them more texture I layered the paint. First the duck egg blue and then a very light grey paint.
The new wood handles were also painted with the duck egg blue and then I gave them a tickling of gold/copper paint.
The bed stands were finished with a fan stencil. Painted in a darker duck egg blue tone and with a sprinkling of gold/copper paint.
Here is the final product.
Sold the pair for R1 300.00. Hooray!!!
Below is another piece that I gave a new jacket. I have had this chest of drawers since before I had my children. It was painted a bright yellow in enamel paint. I keep forgetting to take BEFORE photo’s.
Again, chalk paint came to the rescue. This time I used baking soda to make my own chalk paint. Using baking soda gives the paint a rougher texture. I first painted the piece in left over brown paint but hated it. Having mixed a large amount of duck egg paint [and loving the colour] I decided to use it again.
Here is the final piece.
I lined the inside of the drawers with old dress pattern pieces. Next time I will first paint the wood white before decoupaging the pattern pieces. The new handles gave the piece it’s final UMPH!
A collection of sturdy chairs newly painted and upholstered in beautiful bright colours. I had so much fun to upcycle these chairs. The guest house, Bonne Esperance, gave them to me when they changed ownership. The chairs were originally made by the pre-1994 Public Works Department. Pre-1994 the department provided furniture (amongst other things) for all civil service personnel. Most furniture was stamped with a PWD mark. The PWD chairs were also made from a variety of solid woods, but no pine, and stained in a similar clour.